Although the world has changed in innumerable ways over the last five centuries, the value and relevance of Luther's Catechism are just as great today as when it was first written. To introduce its truths to an even greater number of people, NPH is excited to release a new edition of the Small Catechism later this year! This edition will be available in either ESV or NIV 2011 translations, each of which will have the same exciting features to engage and equip the next generation of Lutheran believers. Selective answers help students develop the skills to find information in the pages of Scripture, and the lessons taught in each unit are tied directly to Biblical history. The new edition will be smaller in size and have a full-color interior with attractive diagrams to aid visual learners. Readability is absolutely key; this catechism will feel less like a textbook and more like a book for everyday living.
Several features will amplify the usefulness of this new exposition in the classroom.
- ESV or NIV - Two versions will be available. Bible references in one are from the ESV. References in the other are from the NIV (2011).
- Designed with good teaching methodology in mind - When students could draw the answer to the question from the supplied Scripture references, the answer isn't given. This feature helps the students develop the skill of finding answers in the Scriptures. When the questions or references are more complex, answers or explanatory notes are provided.
- Content summary diagrams - The full-color graphics will enhance understanding, especially for visual learners.
- Smaller size and full-color interior - The book will look less like a textbook and more like an important book for everyday living.
- Bible history connection - The truth taught in each unit is tied to a section of Bible history. This will help students grow in their knowledge of Bible history and help thstrong see the connection of doctrinal truth to God's plan of salvation.
- Strengthened understanding and appreciation of our heritage - Each unit includes a quote from Luther or the Confessions. Truths that are distinctive to the Lutheran church are strongphasized.
Luther's conviction that the catechism should be a tool for lifelong learning has influenced the design and development of this book.
- Readability - Each unit opens with an introduction. Transitional statstrongents and explanations help a reader grasp the logic of the doctrinal presentation. This enhances the usefulness of the catechism as a review and resource well after confirmation class.
- Devotional Use - Each unit concludes with a connections section that helps the student understand the application of the doctrinal content of that unit. The connections section also ties together the Bible history as well as the quote from Luther or the Confessions with the truth taught in the unit. This section could well be used by families for devotions.
For a sneak peek at the ESV version, click here for a sample.
This catechism edition will help prepare confirmands for lifelong church mstrongbership and is ideal for gift-giving.