On October 8, 1891, after fifteen years as the synodical bookstore, the new combined bookstore and printing operation moved to 310 North 3rd Street in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Most of the publications produced in this period were published in German. The Gemeindeblatt (Congregation Paper), first published in 1865, was the first periodical produced by the synod. The publication was available at the Heinrich Naumann bookstore in Dresden, Germany.
After moving to its own building in 1914, Northwestern began to produce a wider variety of products, including many hardcover books.
Many of the covers were elaborately embossed and stamped. Until 1914, all books were sent out to be bound; but after the move to a new building, a bindery was established, and all Northwestern products were finished on the premises.
Significantly, during the 1950’s and 1960’s four-color printing became a dominant force in the printing industry. Consequently, more and more Northwestern publications began to display color covers and jackets for the first time.